Last Updated: 06 November 2018
TABLE OF CONTENT:
- Personal data we collect
- How we use personal data
- Reasons we share personal data
- How to access and control your personal data
- Cookies and similar technologies
- Products provided by your organization—notice to end users
- eBitcoin account
- Other important privacy information
- Merchant and developer products
- Productivity and communications products
- Search and artificial intelligence
- Entertainment and related services
Your privacy is important to us. This privacy statement explains the personal data eBitcoin processes, how eBitcoin processes it, and for what purposes.
eBitcoin offers a wide range of products, including payment processing products used to help operate enterprises worldwide, devices you use in your home, software that students use at school, and services developers, businesses, financial institutions use to simplify and enhance your life. References to eBitcoin products in this statement include eBitcoin services, websites, apps, software, servers, and devices.
Please read the product-specific details in this privacy statement, which provide additional relevant information. This statement applies to the interactions eBitcoin has with you and the eBitcoin products listed below, as well as other eBitcoin products that display this statement.
EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield
eBitcoin adheres to the principles of the EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield frameworks. To learn more, visit the U.S. Department of Commerce's Privacy Shield website .
Personal data we collect
eBitcoin collects data from you, through our interactions with you and through our products. You provide some of this data directly, and we get some of it by collecting data about your interactions, use, and experiences with our products. The data we collect depends on the context of your interactions with eBitcoin and the choices you make, including your privacy settings and the products and features you use. We also obtain data about you from third parties.
If you represent an organization, such as a business or school, that utilizes Merchant and Developer Products from eBitcoin, please see the Merchant and developer products section of this privacy statement to learn how we process your data.
You have choices when it comes to the technology you use and the data you share. When we ask you to provide personal data, you can decline. Many of our products require some personal data to provide you with a service. If you choose not to provide data necessary to provide you with a product or feature, you cannot use that product or feature. Likewise, where we need to collect personal data by law or to enter into or carry out a contract with you, and you do not provide the data, we will not be able to enter into the contract; or if this relates to an existing product you're using, we may have to suspend or cancel it. We will notify you if this is the case at the time. Where providing the data is optional, and you choose not to share personal data, features like personalization that use such data will not work for you.
How we use personal data
eBitcoin uses the data we collect to provide you with rich, interactive experiences. In particular, we use data to:
• Provide our products, which includes updating, securing, and troubleshooting, as well as providing support. It also includes sharing data, when it is required to provide the service or carry out the transactions you request.
• Improve and develop our products.
• Personalize our products and make recommendations.
• Advertise and market to you, which includes sending promotional communications, targeting advertising, and presenting you with relevant offers.
• We also use the data to operate our business, which includes analyzing our performance, meeting our legal obligations, developing our workforce, and doing research.
In carrying out these purposes, we combine data we collect from different contexts (for example, from your use of two eBitcoin products) or obtain from third parties to give you a more seamless, consistent, and personalized experience, to make informed business decisions, and for other legitimate purposes.
Reasons we share personal data
We share your personal data with your consent or to complete any transaction or provide any product you have requested or authorized. We also share data with eBitcoin-controlled affiliates and subsidiaries; with vendors working on our behalf; when required by law or to respond to legal process; to protect our customers; to protect lives; to maintain the security of our products; and to protect the rights and property of eBitcoin and its stakeholders.
How to access and control your personal data
You can also make choices about the collection and use of your data by eBitcoin. You can control your personal data that eBitcoin has obtained, and exercise your data protection rights, by contacting eBitcoin or using various tools we provide. In some cases, your ability to access or control your personal data will be limited, as required or permitted by applicable law. How you can access or control your personal data will also depend on which products you use. For example, you can:
• Control the use of your data for interest-based advertising from eBitcoin by visiting our opt-out page.
• Choose whether you wish to receive promotional emails, SMS messages, telephone calls, and postal mail from eBitcoin.
• Access and clear some of your data through the eBitcoin Verified User-dashboard.
• Not all personal data processed by eBitcoin can be accessed or controlled via the tools above. If you want to access or control personal data processed by eBitcoin that is not available via the tools above or directly through the eBitcoin products you use, you can always contact eBitcoin at the address in the Contact Us section or by using our web form.
Cookies and similar technologies
We also use "web beacons" to help deliver cookies and gather usage and performance data. Our websites may include web beacons, cookies, or similar technologies from third-party service providers.
Products provided by your organization-notice to end users
If you use a eBitcoin product or use an email address to access eBitcoin products and that product or email address was provided by an organization you are affiliated with, such as an employer or school, that organization can:
• Control and administer your eBitcoin product and product account, including controlling privacy-related settings of the product or product account.
• Access and process your data, including the interaction data, diagnostic data, and the contents of your communications and files associated with your eBitcoin product and product accounts.
If you lose access to your work or school account (in event of change of employment, for example), you may lose access to products and the content associated with those products, including those you acquired on your own behalf, if you used your work or school account to sign in to such products.
Many eBitcoin products are intended for use by organizations, such as financial institutions and merchant businesses. Please see the Merchant and developer products section of this privacy statement. If your organization provides you with access to eBitcoin products, your use of the eBitcoin products is subject to your organization's policies, if any. You should direct your privacy inquiries, including any requests to exercise your data protection rights, to your organization's administrator. When you use social features in eBitcoin products, other users in your network may see some of your activity. To learn more about the social features and other functionality, please review documentation or help content specific to the eBitcoin product. eBitcoin is not responsible for the privacy or security practices of our customers, which may differ from those set forth in this privacy statement.
With a eBitcoin account, you can sign in to eBitcoin products, as well as those of select eBitcoin partners. Personal data associated with your eBitcoin account includes credentials, name and contact data, payment data, device and usage data, your contacts, information about your activities, and your interests and favorites. Signing in to your eBitcoin account enables personalization and consistent experiences across products and devices, permits you to use cloud data storage, allows you to make payments using payment instruments stored in your eBitcoin account, and enables other features.
There are three types of eBitcoin account:
• When you create your own eBitcoin account tied to your personal email address, we refer to that account as a unverified eBitcoin account.
• When you or your organization (such as an employer) create your eBitcoin account tied to your eBitcoin wallet address provided by that organization, we refer to that account as a business eBitcoin account.
• When you or an approved service provider (such as an Eco-System Partner) create your eBitcoin account tied to your email address, third-party wallet information, with your service provider's domain, we refer to that account as a third-party account.
• When you create your own eBitcoin account and complete all KYC processes, tieing the account to your national identity, we refer to that account as a verified eBitcoin account.
If you sign into a service offered by a third party with your eBitcoin account, you will share with that third party the account data required by that service.
Other important privacy information
Below you will find additional privacy information, such as how we secure your data, where we process your data, and how long we retain your data. You can find more information on eBitcoin and our commitment to protecting your privacy at eBitcoin Privacy Commitment.
Merchant and developer products
Merchant and Developer Products are eBitcoin products and related software offered to and designed primarily for use by organizations and developers. They include:
• All merchant and developer products available on eBitcoin.org.
In the event of a conflict between this eBitcoin privacy statement and the terms of any agreement(s) between a customer and eBitcoin for Merchant and Developer Products, the terms of those agreement(s) will control.
You can also learn more about our Merchant and Developer Products' features and settings, including choices that impact your privacy or your end users' privacy, in product documentation.
If any of the terms below are not defined in this Privacy Statement or the OST, they have the definitions below.
General. When a customer tries, purchases, uses, or subscribes to Merchant and Developer Products, or obtains support for or professional services with such products, eBitcoin collects data to provide the service (including uses compatible with providing the service), provide the best experiences with our products, operate our business, and communicate with the customer. For example:
• When a customer engages with a eBitcoin representative, we collect the customer's name and contact data, along with information about the customer's organization, to support that engagement.
• When a customer interacts with a eBitcoin support professional, we collect device and usage data or error reports to diagnose and resolve problems.
• When a customer pays for products, we collect contact and payment data to process the payment.
• When eBitcoin sends communications to a customer, we use data to personalize the content of the communication.
• When a customer engages with eBitcoin for professional services, we collect the name and contact data of the customer's designated point of contact and use information provided by the customer to perform the services that the customer has requested.
The Merchant and Developer Products enable you to purchase, subscribe to, or use other products and online services from eBitcoin or third parties with different privacy practices, and those other products and online services are governed by their respective privacy statements and policies.
Productivity and communications products
Productivity and communications products are applications, software, and services you can use to create, store, and share documents, as well as communicate with others.
Search and artificial intelligence
Search and artificial intelligence products connect you with information and intelligently sense, process, and act on information-learning and adapting over time.
Entertainment and related services
Entertainment and Related Services power rich experiences and enable you to access a variety of content, applications and games.